Today is:

 
 

HOME



© 2001 CAER.
Web design by


Ken Hall Graphic Design

 

 
 

CVECO FIRE SUBCOMMITTEE

SARNIA FIRE RESCUE OCTOBER 15, 2021

HOST: Richard Boyes

ATTENDANCE: Geoff Clark, Richard Boyes, Pat Cayen, Gerry Dochstader, Doug McKenzie, Tom Cooper, George Hatfield, Doug Martin, Walt Fraser, Ron Lebel, Gerry Pepper, Darryl Whyte, Herb Clements, Justin Hagan, Leo Prout, Tom Boon, and Brian Hatfield.

REGRETS: Roy Dewhirst, Doug Fairbairn, Mike Healy, Jim Joncas, Cal Gardner, Tom Whitelaw, Geoff Smith, John Kingyens and Pat Lea.

GREETINGS:

Meeting called to order at 1200 hours and Richard welcomed everyone to Sarnia – East Street station and extended a warm greeting to everyone. Emergency and Safety procedures were reviewed.

PIERCE PRESENTATION:

Pierce Fire Apparatus representatives Blair Schrock (regional sales manager), Dick Pollock (Industrial sales) and David Rye (local sales rep.) gave a brief presentation on Pierce products and their Husky foam system. A video was shown on the TAK-4 system, which has an improved suspension system to deliver a smooth ride with less vibration to protect sensitive electronics, and to improve stopping distance (can stop a fire truck in 60 feet traveling at 55 miles per hour).

REVIEW OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES:

No errors or omissions noted. Minutes accepted as printed.

FIRE PREVENTION CONCERNS:

Dave Potts (Sarnia Fire Prevention Officer) raised concerns about the concrete barricades that were being used at Industrial Sites after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist activities and during other security issues. Dave pointed out that 2.5.1.2.(1) of the Ontario Fire Code states that “Fire access routes provided to facilitate access for fire fighting operations shall not be obstructed”. He indicated that the concrete barriers had been replaced with plastic barrels, filled with sand, since the infraction had been noted. He wanted to remind everyone that access routes must be maintained and kept clear. If you must place barricades across fire routes – notify the fire department and provide the manpower or equipment necessary to remove them in an emergency.

CODE 9 DISCUSSIONS:

Doug Martin had issued revisions to Code 9 procedures in July. There was little or no response received back, so Doug figured the document had been accepted in principle. Discussion on the introduction of Codes 91 and 92 ensued. A motion was made, to have a vote to see if we were to keep the status quo of the old Code 9 document or to add the Code 91 and Code 92 to the amended document. Of those present – 4 voted to keep the old document, and 7 voted to add the Code 91 and Code 92 to the amended document as presented for review from Doug. Doug will add samples (Appendix F) of the procedures to be used when activating a Code 91 or Code 92.

PLEASE RESPOND BACK TO THE UPDATES FROM DOUG WHEN HE SENDS THEM OUT.

CODE 8 ISSUES:

Richard reminded everyone, that the ‘Standard Incident Report Form’ needs to be sent to the Sarnia or St. Clair Fire Department after each incident.

2003 SADS EXERCISE:

Doug McKenzie said that the exercise will take place on Sunday, October 26, 2021 at 0800 hours. The incident will involve a motor vehicle accident between a tank truck and a car on the Blue Water Bridge, resulting in a spill and 2 casualties. A Haz-Mat response will be required as well as patient care. Doug said this will be a ‘Real Time Incident’ and everything will go with the wind of the day.

CVECO RADIO FREQUENCY:

After discussions, the radio frequency will not be changed to the 800 MHZ.

CVECO BINDERS:

Contact Brian Hatfield if you have not picked yours up yet.

POWER OUTAGE OF APRIL 14:

A discussion about who issues the ‘All Clear’ after a major industrial incident. It was determined that the Municipality will issue the All Clear for any Code 6 or Code 9 incident (if and when the municipality is involved). If the incident remains inside the fence line, it is a Code 8, and industry issues the ‘All Clear’.

ACCOUNTABILITY BOARDS:

GET YOUR ORDERS IN. Ligate signs won’t print them until the orders are all in.

OFFICE OF THE FIRE MARSHAL REPORT:

Herb reported that with the election of a new Liberal government, there are some changes coming.

a) The OFM may soon be working under the EMO

b) There is a hiring and spending freeze within the government (everything is on hold)

c) The $40 M grants to help small rural departments has been put on hold In the fire investigations section, the province has been split into 3 groups to help share the workload. This will allow one group to be on duty, one group to be on stand-by, and one group to be off. A process called ‘Benchmarking and Performance Measurements’ has been introduced into the fire service. This process may not benefit industrial chiefs but Herb will get copies for industry. The kick-off is scheduled for March 2004 and is based on fire service and emergency response. A new objective based Building and Fire code will be coming in the fall if 2004.

ROUND TABLE DISCUSSIONS:

Concerns expressed about the Command Vests. Should they be the ‘Break-Away’ type? As this is a Health and Safety issue, they MUST be the ‘Break-Away’ type.

Doug Martin reported on an On-Site simulation conducted at Dow to test their communication and Unified Command skills.

George Hatfield questioned the use of ‘Exhaust Extraction Systems’ in fire halls. As this is a Health and Safety issue and a requirement by the MOL, they are strongly recommended for all fire halls.

Ron Lebel asked if there was any benefit to having a spill containment demonstration for this group. This was deemed to be worthwhile and will be set up for sometime next year. (maximum time 1/2 hour).

Doug McKenzie indicated that if anyone wanted to participate in SADS 2003, to give him a call.

Darryl Whyte thanked Sarnia for participating in their exercise at Enbridge putting foam onto the tank.

Herb Clements said that if anyone wanted the latest downloadable ‘Section 21’ guidelines they can get them off the OAFC website at www.oafc.on.ca

Justin Hagan informed everyone that Nova is running a Unified Command course at the Holiday Inn. He said he will send invites out to everyone. Nova has had their fixed foam systems assessed by Gerry Craft from Williams. Gerry is willing to give this group a presentation entitled ‘How to do more with less’.

Gerry Dochstader will send out an updated list of the CVECO Fire Subcommittee members. Please review the list and bring any corrections or concerns to the next meeting,

CHRISTMAS MEETING:

All members, both past and present, are invited to a Christmas get together at the Chipican Restaurant on Wednesday December 17th at 1200 hours. Deputy Chief Pat Cayen will make the arrangements. Please email Pat at [email protected] to let him know if you will be attending.

NEXT MEETING:

St. Clair Wednesday January 21, 2022 1200 hours

ADJOURNMENT:

With no further business to discuss the meeting adjourned at 1445 hours.